08 August 2011

(ARC) YA Book Review: Misfit by Jon Skovron



Release Date: 1 August 2011
Publisher: Amulet Books
Source: Publisher via NetGalley

Buy Your Copy! B&N | Amazon | Book Depository*

Goodreads description:

Jael has always felt like a freak. She’s never kissed a boy, she never knew her mom, and her dad’s always been superstrict—but that’s probably because her mom was a demon, which makes Jael half demon and most definitely not a normal sophomore girl. On her sixteenth birthday, a mysterious present unlocks her family’s dangerous history and Jael’s untapped potential. What was merely an embarrassing secret before becomes a terrifying reality. Jael must learn to master her demon side in order to take on a vindictive Duke of Hell while also dealing with a twisted priest, best-friend drama, and a spacey blond skater boy who may have hidden depths.

My Thoughts...


I thought Misfit was a fun, unique novel and most definitely a compelling read. (You know, one of those books you want to take to work with you and read while you're working because you need to know what happens next?)  The characters were compelling and the story kept me turning page after page just to see what would happen next.

The MC, Jael, is a teenage girl with a twist--she's half-demon.  From the beginning, Jael knows what she is, which is refreshing because it makes her a stronger character.  She knows from the beginning what the risks of her exposure are and she knows that she has to be careful.  Even so, this is the first time that she and her father have stayed in one town long enough for her to actually make friends.  And wouldn't you know, just a Jael moves towards having her first boyfriend, all Hell breaks loose.

I loved watching Jael learn to deal with her demon side--the strength and power that comes with unleashing it.  It was interesting because she knew what she was but never really understood the consequences of that until her demon nature was unlocked.  Also, back to that boyfriend, Robby--he's pretty awesome, but you're going to have to read the book to learn more about him.

Overall, Mr. Skovron has written a fast-pace, action-packed YA novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat.  I'd probably recommend this novel for older YA readers (15+) because of sexual references and violence.

4 comments:

Hafsah @ IceyBooks said...

I got this one just last week and I can't wait to dive in. I'm glad you thought it was compelling, thanks for the review, Jessi!

Bookish Brunette said...

I have this on my Nook from NetGalley and it's getting ready to expire!!! I need to read it immediately!

Jessi said...

 Girl, don't let it expire! I almost did, but it is so worth the read! :-D

Jessi said...

I saw it on your IMM. :-) I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! It really struck me as unique (which I'm always looking for in a new read).

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so go ahead and leave some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Barnes & Noble
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Don't Eat Worms kit by Lorie Davison